Here is an article by Dr. Mercola that we wanted to pass on. With all the problems and side-effects (like violence & suicide) around the taking of anti-depressants. He has some great data on the cause of depression due to diet.
Here is his article:
- Depression is the leading cause of ill health and disability worldwide, affecting an estimated 322 million people globally, including more than 16 million Americans, 6 million of whom are seniors
- Research shows nutrition is a crucial factor in depression, and researchers have suggested diet is an important yet overlooked aspect of psychiatry
- Recent research found seniors who followed the DASH diet were 11 percent less likely to develop depression over the following six years, whereas those following a standard Western diet had the highest rates of depression
- Other studies have shown that unprocessed foods, especially fermented foods, help optimize your gut microbiome, thereby supporting optimal mental health, whereas sugar, wheat (gluten) and processed foods have been linked to a greater risk for depression, anxiety and even suicide
- Your gut communicates to your brain via your vagus nerve and the stress pathway in your endocrine system, and by producing mood-boosting neurotransmitters. These links help explain why your gut health has such a significant impact on your mental health
See the entire article
What about the gift of health? Is anyone on your list in need of a good quality daily vitamin? Or a natural pain reliever? Do they need help to sleep? Or need more energy?
A Different Idea, a natural supplement gift.
Daily Vitamins – Life Support Formula
Pain Relief Cream
Real Energy Formula
Sleep Support Formula
Or check our index for more gifts.
Sometimes reading about health challenges you get the idea that it is just something that happens and you have to be vigilant in order to catch the problem early enough to do something about it. Or you can read how it is genetic so there really isn’t anything you can do about?
True? I think not.
There are 3 ways to create bad health.
1) Put something into the body that will cause the body to malfunction. This can be toxins from the environment, the foods you eat and the air you breathe or added chemicals to cleaning supplies, tooth paste, cosmetics, etc. etc. etc. etc.
2) Not give the body what it needs to function properly. The body needs 40 nutrients every day that it cannot make. It has to come from the food and drink that is consumed. That is why we say to build health – eat for your health, not your taste buds.
3) Stress. No, don’t reach for a chemical fix, but stress produces too much cortisol, pushes too much insulin into the body, unbalances hormones and exhausts the adrenals, etc. etc.
Yes, there is something you can do about it. You can work on building good health. Actually, that is why this website was created.
” Concerned with the amount of degenerative diseases and other illnesses that occur due to nutritional deficiencies caused by faulty diet, www. mcvitamins.com was created in 1999.”
Read: Toxins for a list of toxins found in the environment. Check your labels.
Read: What is a Healthy Diet?
Read: What is Stressing You Out?
Read: Adrenal Fatigue
and out Site Index for more infomation
I’ve been talking to people about their neuropathy for 14 years. I offer a quiz to help people to know what can make the neuropathy worse, or what will slow down building healthy nerves when taking supplements. (Here is the quiz, if you are interested – Quiz
One thing that I get often is that the cause of their neuropathy (nerve damage) is unknown. Not only does that bother me as they could be doing something everyday that creates more nerve damage, but I don’t understand why the cause can’t be found.
So, on that note, here is an article where all the causes of nerve damage is listed.
Causes of Neuropathy (Risk Factors)
There are so many ways for toxins to sneak into your body – food, drink and through the skin.
We live in a toxic environment. The air you breathe can be polluted with chemicals (some places more than others), the toxins can come via processed foods (just look at the labels sometimes) and in the household products that you clean with. Cleaners that you wash your dishes with, cleaners for your bathroom, bedroom and kitchen, and even those you brush your teeth with.
Learn More about Toxins in Your Environment – One of the Causes of Bad Health
Get rid of stress and help your adrenals.
There are so many things in your environment that triggers stress such as TV.
If you watch the news over a period of time your mind starts to fixated on fear. The worst thing you can do is watch the news before bed.
You have to personally select what is in your environment and in your space and not allow everything to come through so that you won’t get all these triggers.
There are tons of things that are affecting your adrenals and you may not be aware of it.
The stress is in the past with memories and past pictures that have pain. We want to put your more into the future – more in imagination or day dream of how beautiful your future will be for you.
I’m not talking about fear of the future because that is still rooted to your past. Being in the future is a complete blank slate, you’re not there yet. It is a very healthy place to be.
Being in the present is therapeutic. Me and my wife play with legos or color instead of watching TV because it forces us to be in the present through activity.
Anything you can do to create rather it is:
These things are very healthy and will help you stay present. In the present, there is no scary anything.
Start changing your environment the way you want it to help your adrenals.
See Dr. Berg’s Complete Educational Video
I’ve heard and seen things about Aromatherapy. I never paid much attention to it and felt it was creating nice odors that people wanted in their house or felt it relaxed them.
Then I found out that in 1937, a french perfumer gave that name to essential oils which is actually traditional plant medicine.
Now that was something I’d be interested in finding out about. It is now called essential oils and is becoming popular again. Plant medicine has been around for thousands of years and was the only medicine until the 1880s when the drug companies were formed to make pharmaceuticals.
So what can plant medicine do? A lot of things, and its safe and works well.
Why do the essences of the plant create change? And what can it do?
Read: Essential Oils – Plant Medicine for Wellness
Yes, you can always buy supplements, but food is always best
This page has a list of what foods you can eat to get your needed essential fatty acids.
So often I hear from various people that they don’t want to change their diet, they are too old to change what they eat and besides disease is really hereditary anyway
Is it? I very often tell someone when they complain about the cost of healthy organic food, that they can spend more now or they can pay the doctor later. Besides the pain, loss of income, and the anxiety of what might be wrong when they get ill, they miss out on all the energy they could have right now.
As an example of what a poor diet can do, may I present an article Diet of The Plague? What Went Wrong?
How does this work?
You have to understand that there are forty nutrients that cannot be made in the body. They are essential fatty acids, 15 vitamins, 14 minerals, and 10 amino acids. Collectively these forty nutrients are spoken of as the body’s requirements. From these our bodies synthesize an estimated 10,000 different compounds essential to the maintenance of health. All the forty nutrients work together. Therefore, the lack of any one might result in the underproduction of hundreds of these essential compounds. Probably no one nutrient is ever totally lacking from an otherwise adequate diet, but partial simultaneous deficiencies of many nutrients is common.
Your body needs these things every day to function. You have to start paying attention to what you eat, and make sure you take those vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids that are missing in your diet.
Rather than have to deal with sickness and heroic measures to save your life (surgery, drugs, etc.). Isn’t it a better idea to build health?
Understanding what your body needs and providing it is your best Health Insurance.
“We need to shift our focus from treating disease to generating health…” Hippocrates (“The Father of Medicine” 460 BC – 380 BC)
What is a Healthy Diet?
Health Benefits of Food
Articles about Health